Custody AgreementsFamily LawGuardianshipSupport Modification

Residents of Pollock Pines may need an attorney to petition the court for child support modification.

After a judge makes a child support order, 1 or both parents (or the LCSA if they are involved in the case) may want to change the order. You have to show that there has been a ‚Äúchange in circumstances‚ÄĚ since the last child support order was made.

If the judge ordered a child support amount below the guideline amount, you can ask to change that amount at any time. You do NOT need to show a change in circumstances. This is true even if your non-guideline child support order was reached by stipulation (agreement) between the 2 parents.

There are many good reasons why a child support order might need to be changed. Some of these reasons are:

The income of 1 or both parents has changed;

  • One parent has lost his or her job
  • One parent has been incarcerated
  • One parent had another child from another relationship
  • There have been significant changes in how much time the child in the case spends with each parent
  • The child’s needs may have changed and there may be more (or less) costs for child care, health care, or education
  • There have been changes in any of the factors that are used to calculate child support.
  • If the parents (and the LCSA if involved in the case) can reach an agreement on a new amount of child support, they can write it up as a stipulation and give it to the judge for signature and to have it become a new order.

    But if the parents cannot agree on the change, 1 of the parents (or the LCSA if involved in the case) must file a motion with the court asking for a change (called a “modification”).

    Keep in mind that unless the judge signs a new court order, the existing child support amount and order will not be changed. So, to protect yourself, even if you have a verbal agreement with the other parent to change the child support amount, put it in writing and have a judge sign it. That way you have a current child support order that reflects the current amount.

    Important Addresses – Sacramento – Placer – El Dorado

    Sacramento Family Law Courthouse
    3341 Power Inn Road Sacramento,
    Placer County Family Law Courthouse
    10820 Justice Center Drive Roseville
    El Dorado County Family Law Courthouse
    495 Main Street Placerville

    Divorce Resources from Amazon for Pollock Pines CA

    collaborative divorce and mediation CAdomestic partnership agreementsprenuptial and postnuptial agreements
    child and spousal support modifications alimony rules californiaproperty division and spousal support California certified specialist high income
    divorce for women child custody and visitationmove away out-of-state custody
    divorce finance and tax advicepaternity unmarried parentdivorce estate plan review

    Pollock Pines Local Courthouse Map